Jupiter album art recreation

I really like the cover of the album Jupiter by the band Starfucker (their music is awesome as well).

I thought it would look cool as a huge print on my wall. Unfortunately, I could not find a large enough image. So, I decided to recreate it using Processing. The basic idea was surprisingly easy to match. The hardest part to get close was the color distribution. After a little HSV space histogramming (suggested by Mario), I finally settled on manually picking a pallete of just six hues inspired by the original image, and then randomly (with some caveats) picking the saturation and brightness values. Pro tip: the slightly non-uniform widths of the stripes were modeled with a draw from the Dirichlet distribution.

The result looks pretty good to me, and can be generated at any resolution.

[source code]

comments powered by Disqus