Computer Science Department
University of California, Berkeley
Updated 06 Mar 2013
I really like the cover of the album Jupiter by the band Starfucker (their music is awesome as well).
I thought it would look cool as a huge print on my wall. Unfortunately, I could not find a large enough image. So, I decided to recreate it using Processing. The basic idea was surprisingly easy to match. The hardest part to get close was the color distribution. After a little HSV space histogramming (suggested by Mario), I finally settled on manually picking a pallete of just six hues inspired by the original image, and then randomly (with some caveats) picking the saturation and brightness values. Pro tip: the slightly non-uniform widths of the stripes were modeled with a draw from the Dirichlet distribution.
The result looks pretty good to me, and can be generated at any resolution. Pictures of the HUGE poster forthcoming.
If your browser can handle HTML5 (most modern browsers can), check out an animated version, with a link to the source code.